Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel is cautioning patience and a thorough review of vehicle and sales terms to Michigan residents shopping for used cars in a new consumer alert.
Purchasing a used vehicle is a high-pressure experience, especially with sales tactics, few or missing vehicle history details, “as-is” terms of a sale, and most often, the transaction is finalized in a legally binding purchase agreement or contract.
Among the recommendations in the AG’s alert are:
- Examine the vehicle using an inspection checklist.
- Find out if the vehicle was involved in an accident or incurred other damage.
- Ask for maintenance records.
- Check for open recalls at safercar.gov.
- Determine the value of the vehicle before you negotiate.
For more information, visit Michigan Attorney General alerts: