Hi, I’m Jason. I have the privilege to serve as your state representative for Washtenaw, Wayne and Oakland Counties. Here is some information that I hope you will find helpful, including updates and news from your state government.
I want to hear about the issues that matter to you! Join me at one of our upcoming events and many more throughout the summer. With the legislature on its summer in-district work period, we look forward to seeing you in-person throughout the district!
- Friday, July 7, from 3-5 p.m. at The Dixboro Farmers’ Market, 5221 Church Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105.
- Monday, July 24, from 5-6 p.m. at The Corner Social 101 S. Lafayette St., South Lyon, MI 48178.
With the passage of a historic state budget for Michigan, we are winning for the people of Michigan. We passed a fiscally responsible, balanced and comprehensive budget that prioritizes our most critical needs and reinvests in the people of Michigan. I am proud of what this budget delivers for House District 23 and the entire state.
These are just a few highlights of this incredibly exciting budget. These reinvestments mark a new chapter for our state, and I can’t wait to see how these investments pay off in the months, years and decades to come.
Across Michigan – The Biggest Investment in Education in Michigan’s History!
- We passed the largest investment in K-12 education in Michigan’s history, increasing support for education by 9.4% and ensuring that our students, teachers and families have the resources they need to succeed. The project I am most proud of is our historic new funding for the Healthy School Meals for All program, which provides no-cost breakfast and lunch for all public school students in our state. We’re also making preschool more accessible and affordable for every family.
- We’re strengthening our labor force by investing in public safety training, diversity, health care workers and teachers.
- For years, the Legislature failed to spend critically needed federal dollars for our residents — our budget puts these dollars from the American Rescue Plan to work repairing roads, bridges and water infrastructure. These investments will help us clean up contaminated sites, address PFAS and emerging contaminants, and protect the precious ecosystem of the Great Lakes.
Community Highlights — Green Energy, Infrastructure and Public Safety.
- Investments in green infrastructure put Michigan on the front lines of fighting climate change. We secured $5 million to support the Ann Arbor Landfill Solar Project, which will produce up to 20 megawatts of renewable energy, enough to power roughly 4,000 homes.
- As chair of the Department of Military and Veterans and State Police appropriations subcommittee, I fought hard to secure $500,000 in Community-Based Crisis Response Grants. This grant money will be used to supplement traditional police forces with trained mental health professionals. Additionally, we provided $2 million in grants to support ending veteran homelessness, because no veteran should be homeless in our state.
- Road infrastructure is important to building resilient businesses. We are investing $10 million to rebuild Five Mile Road in Northville and Plymouth townships. This investment will repair our crumbling infrastructure and support our local economy by improving the Michigan International Technological Corridor and by creating work for local construction workers.
Protecting Marriage Equality in Michigan
No couple in our state should live with the fear that their marriage could be put into jeopardy. While marriage between individuals of the same sex is currently protected through a ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court, the overturning of Roe v. Wade has made it clear how precarious our rights truly are. I am so excited to be marrying the love of my life, Jon, this year, and I will not rest until we protect the right to marriage for every family in Michigan.
Earlier this month, I introduced a 52-bill package bill package removing Michigan laws banning same-sex marriage and amending dozens of statutes that still contain gendered marital references. This package includes a proposed constitutional amendment to protect the right to marriage and its legal benefits between any two individuals in the state of Michigan.
Yours in service,
State Rep. Jason Morgan
Michigan’s 23rd House District