Welcome to this month’s installment of my Capitol and Community Update e-newsletter!
As always, please encourage neighbors and friends in House District 56 – Troy, Clawson, Royal Oak, Birmingham and Bloomfield Township – to also sign up for these updates at MacDonell.housedems.com and to let us know if you have any thoughts on state-level issues or want to meet with me. My office can be reached by phone at (517) 373-2617 or by email at SharonMacDonell@house.mi.gov.
House District 56
Statement on Last Month’s Shooting at Michigan State University:
I am in deep mourning for our students and families following the horrific gun violence on the MSU campus last month. I’m heartbroken to report that one of the MSU students who did not survive is from our district.
Many of us are feeling scared, helpless and shocked; and I know there’s little I can say to make it better.
With everything I have, I will fight to strengthen our gun laws in Michigan. Shamefully, our state has never enacted commonsense solutions like red flag laws, safe storage laws, and universal background checks. The time to act is now.
As of mid-February, the Gun Violence Archive has counted 80 mass shootings in the U.S. this year. We cannot continue to endure this. My colleagues and I are taking action in the names of those whose lives have been forever altered by gun violence.
Monthly Community Conversation
Please join me for my next in-person office hours where I will be giving legislative updates and taking your questions about the issues facing our state and our community! They are a great way to find out what policies I’m working on and to share your ideas and concerns with me. Please refer to the policy of the venue regarding masks and physical distancing. Our April meetup’s information is as follows:
When: Monday, April 3 from 4:30 – 6 p.m.
Where: Leo Mahany / Harold Meininger Senior Community Center in Royal Oak
The following are highlights from my recent work in the legislature. All of my sponsored and co-sponsored legislation from this term are available at the provided hyperlink. You can also see my press releases page for additional updates.
- HB 4139, part of the package of bills establishing “safe storage” requirements for parents who own firearms. I introduced this legislation on 2/28.
- Justice for Allie, a bill which criminalizes the act of taking advantage of a vulnerable adult’s cognitive status to obtain sexually explicit images of them. I will be introducing this legislation on Thursday, 3/16.
New Co-Sponsored Legislation Highlights
- HBs 4062 and 4063: Would ban discrimination in rental applications on the basis of source of income (such as housing vouchers).
- HB 4089: Would create a school safety and mental health commission.
- HB 4138: Part of the gun bill package creates a universal background check system for gun purchases.
- HBs 4145, 4146, and 4148: Will create Extreme Risk Protection (or “red flag”) orders, used to temporarily confiscate the guns of individuals who pose a danger to themselves or others.
Community Recognitions and Resources
Small Business of the Month AND Teacher of the Month
Each month, I recognize a small business in the community from HD 56 as our small businesses of the month. To nominate a business for this recognition, please fill out this form for Small Business of the Month. I am also excited to recognize a Teacher of the Month! Teachers are the backbone of this nation, and we have the BEST teachers in our District! Please fill out this form to recognize a Teacher of the Month.
Tributes, Letters and Certificates
Do you know someone in the district who is retiring and would like a legislative tribute to celebrate their years of service? Has a local team or group reached a milestone that they would like to be acknowledged with an official certificate for each member? Our office can provide legislative tributes, letters and certificates on a wide range of recognitions for constituents. If you would like to request any of these materials for yourself or others, please email my office at SharonMacDonell@house.mi.gov with as much information as possible on the requested recognition, and we will work with you to arrange delivery or presentation of the recognition!