Welcome to this month’s Capitol and Community Update e-newsletter!
As always, please encourage neighbors and friends in House District 56 — Troy, Clawson, Royal Oak, Birmingham and Bloomfield Township — to also sign up for these updates at MacDonell.housedems.com. Please let us know if you have any thoughts on state-level issues or want to meet with me. My office can be reached by phone at (517) 373-2617 or by email at SharonMacDonell@house.mi.gov.
House District 56
Monthly Community Conversation
Please join me for my next in-person office hours where I will be giving legislative updates and taking your questions about the issues facing our state and our community! They are a great way to find out what policies I’m working on and to share your ideas and concerns with me. Please refer to the policy of the venue regarding masks and physical distancing. Our April meetup information is as follows:
When: Monday, April 10 from 4:30 – 6 p.m.
Where: Leo Mahany / Harold Meininger Senior Community Center in Royal Oak
Please note that this is a rescheduled time from the initial event date! Team MacDonell will no longer be hosting a community conversation in Royal Oak on April 3.
Spring Community Input Drive
This is the second week of the Legislature’s in-district work period, which Team MacDonell has decided to spend walking in the 56th District to hear from residents about the issues that matter most to them. We’ve been walking neighborhoods in Troy and Clawson and handing out surveys for residents to fill out. What we hear from residents will help shape my legislative priorities for the spring. If you haven’t seen us yet, we will be coming soon to a neighborhood near you!
When: This week, in the evenings (5-7 p.m.) on weekdays and in the afternoon (2-5 p.m.) on the weekend.
Where: Neighborhoods throughout Troy and Clawson!
The following are highlights from my recent work in the legislature. All of my sponsored and co-sponsored legislation from this term are available at the provided hyperlink. You can also see my press releases page for additional updates.
- House Bill 4139, part of the package of bills establishing “safe storage” requirements for parents who own firearms, passed the House on March 22.
- I will be holding a press conference in Lansing on Tuesday, April 11, at 9 a.m. to discuss Justice for Allie, a bill which criminalizes the act of taking advantage of a vulnerable adult’s cognitive status to obtain sexually explicit images of them. I will be joined by the bill’s namesake, Allie Hayes, her mother, and members of the disability rights and elder justice communities.
New Co-Sponsored Legislation Highlights
- HB 4211 would establish a 14-day waiting period for pistol purchases.
- HB 4213 would require the Healthy Michigan plan to cover telemedicine services.
- HB 4231 would restore prevailing wage provisions for state construction projects.
- HB 4237 would require tenants to be notified about housing inspection violations.
- HB 4334 would provide income tax credits for small campaign donations.
Community Recognitions and Resources
During March is Reading Month, I had the pleasure of reading to over 300 students! I send my thank yous to all of the wonderful elementary schools in House District 56 for hosting me and my team. Keep on reading!
Small Business of the Month AND Teacher of the Month
Each month, I recognize a small business in the community from House District 56 as our small businesses of the month. To nominate a business for this recognition, please fill out this form for Small Business of the Month. I am also excited to recognize a Teacher of the Month! Teachers are the backbone of this nation, and we have the BEST teachers in our District! Please fill out this form to recognize a Teacher of the Month.
Tributes, Letters and Certificates
Do you know someone in the district who is retiring and would like a legislative tribute to celebrate their years of service? Has a local team or group reached a milestone that they would like to be acknowledged with an official certificate for each member? Our office can provide legislative tributes, letters and certificates on a wide range of recognitions for constituents. If you would like to request any of these materials for yourself or others, please email my office at SharonMacDonell@house.mi.gov with as much information as possible on the requested recognition, and we will work with you to arrange delivery or presentation of the recognition!