I know the COVID-19 pandemic has been difficult on all of us, and especially on small and local businesses. As we begin this new year, I wanted to tell you about some resources and grants that have been made available. Below you will find three different programs that Gov. Whitmer set up to help small businesses continue to weather this crisis. Many of these applications close in the next few days so make sure you take advantage of these resources and share them with anyone you know who might be in need.
I will keep you updated on any other resources that become available, but if you or someone you know is in need of assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out to my office. My first duty and priority is to serve you and our community in any way that I can.
State Representative, 29th House District
In this issue:
- Employee Assistance Grants
- Michigan Small Business Survival Program
- Michigan Stages Survival Program
Employee Assistance Grants
The Employee Assistance Grants were established by Senate Bill 748, and are designed to provide support to employees impacted by the MDHHS Gathering and Face Mask Order that took effect on November 18, 2020. The Michigan Restaurant & Lodging Association Educational Foundation is administering this grant program.
- Grant Amount: Eligible recipients who apply will be awarded assistance up to $1,650. The award is taxable, but it will NOT count against your unemployment as income.
- Eligibility: Employees who worked at restaurants, hotels, motels, bed & breakfast, resorts, bars, food trucks, bowling alleys, theaters, nightclubs, golf courses, banquet halls, caterers, casinos, cafeterias, and other impacted industries.
- Application: Opened on Jan. 15, 2021 at 9:00 am and will be available until January 25, 2021 at 5:00 pm. Click here to learn more and apply.
Michigan Small Business Survival Grant Program
The State of Michigan allocated $55 million to implement the Michigan Small Business Survival Grant Program to support the needs of Michigan businesses that have been disproportionately impacted by the COVID-19 virus and the Gatherings and Mask Order.
- Grant Amount: Grants may be awarded up to $20,000 for eligible businesses that temporarily closed and up to $15,000 for eligible businesses that are open or partially closed.
- Eligible Expenses: Grant funds may be used by the business for eligible expenses including working capital to support payroll expenses, rent, mortgage payments, utility expenses, and other expenses related to reopening a business incurred between November 18, 2020, and April 30, 2021.
- Application: Opened Jan. 19, 2021, at 9:00 am EST and will close on Friday, January 22 at 12:00 p.m. Click here to learn more and apply.
Michigan Stages Survival Grant Program
The State of Michigan has allocated $3.5 million to create the Michigan Stages Survival Grant Program to provide grants to entertainment venues affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and emergency declarations.
- Grant Amount: The maximum grant request is $40,000. There is no match requirement. The Michigan Independent Venue and Promoter Association (MIVPA) will have the discretion to recommend final grant award for applications.
- Eligible Expenses: Awarded grant funds are to be used for working capital to support payroll expenses, rent, mortgage payments, utility expenses, or costs related to reopening a business.
- Applications: Grant applications will open on Thursday, Jan. 21, 2021, at 9:00 a.m. and close on Thursday, Jan. 28 at 12:00 p.m. Click here to learn more and apply.