Detroit Caucus Denounces Trump’s Calls for Nationalized Elections in Detroit, Opposes SAVE Act

DETROIT, Mich., Feb. 5, 2026 — Earlier this week, President Donald Trump reiterated previous remarks suggesting that elections should be nationalized in various cities, confirming that Detroit was among those referenced. This blatantly unconstitutional statement sparked widespread concern, as the authority to administer elections rests with states under the U.S. Constitution. 

Following Trump’s remarks, House Republicans introduced and adopted House Resolution 244 during session today, urging U.S. Congress to enact the SAVE Act — a bill that would block tens of millions of Americans from voting

After his comments, the Detroit Caucus issued the following statements:

“Detroit will not be bullied out of its constitutional authority to run free and fair elections. Calls to federalize local voting systems are not only unconstitutional, they are dangerous,” said state Rep. Stephanie A. Young (D-Detroit), Detroit Caucus chair. “And the so-called SAVE Act is just the latest attempt to erect barriers between eligible voters and the ballot box. Michigan already has secure elections. We reject this power grab, and we will fight any effort to suppress voters or undermine local control.”

“These attacks on Detroit are rooted in the same tired playbook of voter suppression we’ve seen for decades,” said state Rep. Helena Scott (D-Detroit), Detroit Caucus vice chair. “It is clear our democracy is under attack when politicians try to silence cities like ours and voters across the country. I stand firmly against this resolution, Trump’s calls for nationalized election and any attempt to strip Michiganders of their constitutional rights.”

The right to vote, for all US citizens, regardless of race, gender and class was won through over 230 years of struggle and sacrifice. It is the cornerstone of our civil rights and constitutional rights. Since 2016, President Trump has repeatedly claimed, without evidence, that any election he loses is ‘rigged,’ a pattern that culminated in his incitement of a violent attempt to overturn a lawful election in 2021. We are not blind to this record, and we will not stand by and allow this administration to cheat and steal our right to vote,” said state Rep. Tonya Myers Phillips (D-Detroit), Detroit Caucus treasurer.

“Efforts to nationalize elections and pass legislation like the SAVE Act risk disenfranchising many married women and threaten the foundational principle that elections are run by the people, not dictated by politicians in Washington. These are clear assaults on democracy and I continue to stand firm with my colleagues to protect the rights of every Michigander,” said state Rep. Regina Weiss (D-Oak Park), Detroit Caucus secretary.

###