It is difficult to believe that 2023 is coming to a close. As we approach a new year, I am honored for the opportunity to serve as your representative and voice in Lansing.
We had a busy year focused on kitchen table issues. I am particularly proud of voting to repeal retirement taxes for our seniors, increase the working families tax credit and include LGBTQ+ Michiganders in the Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act. This year’s budget also featured major wins, including the highest per-pupil public school funding in Michigan’s history and affordable housing developments.
We have accomplished so much in the past year, and there is still a lot more to do. A few bills I am working on are consumer-focused and will save you money on prescription drugs and help increase access to clean and affordable water.
I will always be your voice at the Capitol and advocate for social, economic and environmental policies that have lasting positive impacts on our state. Please do not hesitate to reach out to my office if I can ever be of service to you.
2023 Legislative Action Snapshot
- Attendance record: 100%
- Sponsored and co-sponsored pieces of legislation: 286
- Community events hosted and attended: 233
- Constituents assisted: 1,427
Michigan’s Budget: Over $82 million secured for our district
We passed the state’s fiscal 2023-24 budget early this summer. The budget includes free breakfast and lunch for every public school student and expanded affordable pre-K, as well as substantial investments in workforce recruitment and retention, water infrastructure and public safety. I am proud that over $82 million is coming back home to House District 8, and countless more will be spent throughout Wayne and Oakland counties.
- Cut taxes: Repealed taxes for retirees.
- Saved Michiganders money: Increased the working families tax credit.
- Protected personal rights and freedoms: Expanded the Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act to protect LGBTQ+ Michiganders from discrimination.
- Restored workers’ rights: Strengthened protections for unions and restored prevailing wage laws.
- Defended your freedoms: Repealed Michigan’s 1931 statute that criminalizes abortion care.
- Invested in public safety: Passed gun violence prevention laws to require universal background checks, create safe storage requirements and establish extreme risk protection orders.
What am I working on in 2024?
- Lowering prescription drug costs.
- Codifying more of the Affordable Care Act into Michigan law.
- Limiting insurance companies’ ability to overrule your doctor.
- Expanding access to retirement savings programs for small business and self-employed workers.
- Improving water affordability.
Until then, happy holidays and happy new year! Please celebrate responsibly and stay safe.
Thank you for allowing me to continue to serve you in Lansing. Please do not hesitate to reach out to my office if I can ever be of service to you.
State Representative, House District 8
Serving Hazel Park, Highland Park, Madison Heights, Part of Detroit, and Part of Ferndale