I am hoping to pass along information to my neighbors that you may find helpful. Holidays can be difficult with increased costs for food, energy, and home goods. Below are some resources around Wayne and Oakland County that you may be able to take advantage of.
- Forgotten Harvest travels around the metro Detroit area delivering food at various locations each day. Resources can be found by calling (248) 967-1500.
- The Michigan Energy Assistance Program has resources to help you increase your energy efficiency and apply for assistance.
Oakland County Resources
- The Madison Heights Food Pantry program provides food to meet basic nutritional needs.
- Hazel Park Take it or Leave it Pantry is a small local pantry where anyone can take what they need and leave what they can.
- The Area Agency on Aging 1-B serves Oakland County with various resources for seniors. You can find holiday assistance programs across the county that you may be able to take advantage of by calling (800) 852-7795.
Wayne County Resources
- The Detroit Area Agency on Aging is hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday Meals on Wheels and welcomes seniors interested in receiving a hot holiday meal to sign-up by calling (313) 446-4444, extension 5227. Please know that older adults signing up for a holiday meal should meet the following requirements:
- Age 55 or older in need of a hot holiday meal.
- Not currently receiving home-delivered meals.
- Living in the DAAA service area.
- Available to receive a meal on the morning of Thanksgiving Day (Thursday, Nov. 23) or Christmas Day (Monday, Dec. 25).
- The Salvation Army will be providing various assistance to those in need this holiday season, including free Thanksgiving dinner meals. Most of the support is for older adults, senior citizens, disabled people, unemployed residents, and low-income families with children. Their phone number is (313) 897-2914.
I am proud to be your voice in Lansing. Please do not hesitate to reach out to my office if I can ever be of service to you.
State Representative, House District 8
Serving Hazel Park, Highland Park, Madison Heights, and part of Detroit and Ferndale