Dear neighbor,

I hope this email finds you well. As your representative, I am committed to addressing pressing concerns that impact our community. One issue has been the accessibility of affordable water for all residents. In the recognition of this challenge, I have put together a few resources to assist with the rising water bill costs.

The Heat and Warmth Fund’s (THAW) MiWater program has money available to help with water bill payments for residential customers in Michigan who have a past due water bill, offering up to $2,500 per household. Call or text THAW at (800) 866-8429 or go to their website to apply.

Wayne Metro’s Water Affordability Program is another program to check out. This program offers up to $3,000 to pay back water bills and offers affordable payment plans. You can call (313) 388-9799 to learn more or visit their website.

The Human Utility also has a program called the Detroit Water Project. They helped pay for over $200,000 in water bills in 2022 to assist Detroiters with water affordability. Email them at or visit their website for more information.

The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department has programs to assist with paying utility bills. The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) Lifeline Plan is an income-based water affordability plan that erases water debt and offers qualifying customers a low, fixed monthly bill. The 10/30/50 Plan is a payment arrangement to help residents pay off past due water and sewerage bills, regardless of income level. To learn more, visit the DWSD website or call (313) 386-9727 for information about the Lifeline Plan or (313) 267-8000 for information about the 10/30/50 Plan.

For Oakland residents, the Water Residential Assistance Program (WRAP) provides assistance to eligible low-income households who receive water and/or sewer service from Great Lakes Water Authority member partner communities. Households can receive help with paying down past due balances and receive water and sewer bill payment assistance for up to two years. Eligible seniors and permanently disabled persons can obtain bill credit assistance without an expiration date. Participants may also receive conservation assistance and minor plumbing repairs. For more information or to apply, contact the United Way for Southeastern Michigan at (248) 983-5656 or go to the application portal.

I am proud to be your voice in Lansing.  Please do not hesitate to reach out to my office if I can ever be of service to you.

In Service,

McFall signature

Mike McFall
State Representative, House District 8
Serving Hazel Park, Highland Park, Madison Heights, Part of Detroit, and Part of Ferndale