Detroit Public Schools
We all want a world-class education for our children, but unfortunately for some, that is more difficult to obtain than others. Nowhere is that discrepancy more obvious today than in Detroit Public Schools (DPS). After years of Republican and state-led management, the district is floundering. Facilities are crumbling, schools are hemorrhaging students, and many teachers feel helpless in the face of mounting state restrictions that focus on lowering costs instead of improving education.
We need immediate solutions that truly focus on what is best for the students, not the bottom line. That’s why the House Democrats are committed to promoting solutions that not only address financial problems in the district, but improve building and classroom standards, provide top-notch books and materials, and attract and retain the talented teachers needed to support the district.
To learn more about the situation in DPS, please read the following:
- Detroit Reps. Support Passage of DPS Supplemental
- Detroit Lawmakers Call For Transparency In DPS Leadership Selection
- Statement from state Representative Sherry Gay-Dagnogo (D-Detroit) on the new House Republican DPS legislative package
- Detroit Caucus Members Uncover EAA-DPS Plan to Charter 31 School
- Rep. Love Speaks on Testimony from Judge Stephen Rhodes
- Rep. Banks Says DPS Bill Discussions Must Involve Parents, Teachers, Detroiters
- Statement from state Representative Sherry Gay-Dagnogo (D-Detroit) on Gov. Snyder’s Decision to End the EAA