LANSING, Mich., Oct. 4, 2021 — Today, state Rep. Felicia Brabec (D-Pittsfield) is set to start a two-month-long mental health listening tour, focusing on community-based mental health across the state. Brabec will be moderating the events as she and her fellow representatives engage with their constituents and interested stakeholders on how to improve their community-based mental health systems. Once the tour is complete, the recommendations and data gathered will be used to craft legislation that is inclusive of the whole state.
“It’s clear that our current mental health systems were stretched thin by the pandemic,” said Brabec, a practicing clinical psychologist. “We’ve seen elevated rates of anxiety, depression and substance abuse across the state. With this listening tour, we’ll be able to craft legislation that’s truly reflective of the entire state. For an issue like mental health, starting the legislative process in our communities is the only way to build legislation that is inclusive of all Michiganders. I look forward to hearing voices from across the state as we attempt to improve our community mental health system.”
The tour has 11 stops, seven virtual via Zoom and four in person.
- Oct. 4, 5-6:30 p.m. via Zoom with state Rep. Laurie Pohutsky and special guests state Reps. Ranjeev Puri (D-Canton) and Cara Clemente (D-Lincoln Park).
- Oct. 7, 5-6:30 p.m. at the Kool Family Center with state Rep. Jim Haadsma (D-Battle Creek).
- Oct. 11, 5-6:30 p.m. via Zoom with state Rep. Sara Cambensy (D-Marquette).
- Oct. 14, 5-6:30 p.m. via Zoom with state Rep. Kelly Breen (D-Novi) and special guests state Reps. Samantha Steckloff (D-Farmington Hills), Brenda Carter (D-Pontiac), Regina Weiss (D-Oak Park), Jim Ellison (D-Royal Oak) and Padma Kuppa (D-Troy).
- Oct. 18, 5:30-7:00 p.m. via Zoom with state Rep. Christine Morse (D-Texas Township) and special guest state Rep. Julie M. Rogers (D-Kalamazoo).
- Oct. 21, 5-6:30 p.m. via Zoom with state Rep. Rachel Hood (D-Grand Rapids).
- Oct. 25, 5-6:30 p.m. via Zoom with state Rep. Tenisha Yancey (D-Harper Woods) and special guests state Reps. Abraham Aiyash (D-Hamtramck), Helena Scott (D-Detroit), Stephanie A. Young (D-Detroit) and Mary Cavanagh (D-Redford Township).
- Oct. 28, 6-7:30 p.m. via Zoom with state Rep. Lori Stone (D-Warren) and special guest state Rep. Kevin Hertel (D-St. Clair Shores).
- Nov. 1, 5-6:30 p.m. at the Anderson Enrichment Center with state Rep. Amos O’Neal (D-Saginaw).
- Nov. 4, 5:30-7 p.m. at the Ingham County Human Services Building with state Rep. Kara Hope (D-Holt) and special guest state Rep. Julie Brixie (D-Meridian Township).
- Nov. 15, 5-6:30 p.m. at the Washtenaw County Learning Resource Center with state Rep. Felicia Brabec (D-Pittsfield Township) and special guests House Democratic Leader Donna Lasinski (D-Scio Township), Democratic Floor Leader Yousef Rabhi (D-Ann Arbor), and Rep. Ronnie Peterson (D-Ypsilanti)