Dear Friends and Neighbors,
Welcome back to my e-newsletter. Please do not hesitate to contact my office at (517) 373-3906 or email me at TimSneller@house.mi.gov if we can assist you or your family on a state issue. It continues to be an honor representing the residents of the 50th House District.
In This Edition:
- Genesee County Vaccine Update, All Residents 16+ Eligible April 5
- State Tax Deadline Moved Back a Month
- April In-District Coffee Hour
- House Votes on Health Care Reform Package
- Helpful Resources
Genesee County Vaccine Update, All Residents 16+ Eligible April 5
In Genesee County, pre-registration for COVID-19 vaccination appointments is currently open to the following individuals:
- Phase 1A (health care workers & long-term care residents/staff);
- Phase 1B (frontline first responders, teachers/school staff, and those aged 65+)
- Caretakers/guardians of children with special health care needs
- Anyone aged 50+
- Those aged 35+ with a disability or an underlying medical condition
- Anyone aged 16 to 34 with a disability or an underlying medical condition
- Those aged 30 to 49 regardless of health status
The pre-registration schedule for remaining age-groups is as follows:
- April 1: those aged 23 to 29 regardless of health status
- April 5: those aged 16 to 22 regardless of health status
To pre-register for a COVID-19 vaccination appointment:
- Fill out the COVID Vaccine Pre-Registration survey
- For those aged 50+: you may call a local senior center for help with pre-registration
- For those aged 55+: The Valley Area Agency on Aging (810-600-0617) can help with pre-registration
If you pre-registered (online or via phone), you will receive a phone call or email when an appointment is available.
I also encourage you to register with Walgreens, Rite-Aid, Meijer, Walmart and other local pharmacies that offer the vaccine, to increase your chances of getting the vaccine early. These pharmacies receive vaccines on their own schedule and do not have to report them to the state. I will continue to work to ensure our area secures the necessary doses to keep our community safe and protected, and that every Genesee County resident who wants a COVID vaccine is able to get one.
State Tax Deadline Moved Back a Month
State of Michigan individual income tax annual returns are now due on May 17, 2021, according to the Michigan Department of Treasury. More information about e-filing is available at michigan.gov/mifastfile.
April In-District Coffee Hour
Please join me for my next in-person, socially-distanced coffee hour! Attendees will have an opportunity to share their thoughts and concerns about state government and our community with me directly in an informal setting. Additionally, I will provide a legislative update. Masks will need to be worn except when eating or drinking.
Monday, April 19, from 6-7:30 p.m. at Sam’s Italian Restaurant, 4105 Grand Blanc Road in Mundy Township.
For more coffee hour details, please click here. I look forward to safely seeing you soon!
I had the honor of welcoming 4th grade students and teachers from Mason Elementary in Grand Blanc for a virtual Capitol tour on March 25, 2021
House Votes on Health Care Reform Package
Last week, members in the Michigan House passed a 14 -bill bipartisan package to address many health care concerns in Michigan, including curbing the costs of prescription drugs for every day Michiganders, creating transparency in the price-setting process for prescription medication, eliminating conflicts of interest in the pharmaceutical industry and capping the copay for insulin.
The Health Care Reform Package includes:
- HB 4345 – requires insurers to give insured individuals credit for cost savings when they purchase certain less expensive drugs from an out-of-network pharmacy.
- HB 4346 – caps the copay for a 30-day supply of insulin at $50 for each prescription.
- HB 4347 – requires drug companies to file a report with DIFS w/in 30 days of increasing the wholesale acquisition cost of qualified prescription drugs by 15%+ in a given year or 40%+ over a 3-yr period.
- HB 4348 – addresses licensing and regulating pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs).
- HB 4349 – requires hospitals to post online or otherwise make available a written or electronic copy of its charge description master (list of standard charges).
- HB 4350 – amends the Health Care False Claim Act to modify the exceptions to the general prohibition against kickbacks, bribes and rebates for furnishing health care goods, services and benefits.
- HB 4351 – prohibits a PBM from reimbursing federally designated 340B entities for pharmacy-dispensed drugs at a lower rate than that paid for the same drug to pharmacies that are not 340B entities.
- HB 4352 – prohibits gag clauses in PBM contracts.
- HB 4353 – requires that all payments made by or on behalf of an insured person go toward a patient’s deductible and out-of-pocket costs.
- HB 4355 – allows a health professional licensed in another state to practice that health profession through telehealth in Michigan without obtaining a license.
- HB 4356 – allows certain eye examinations and evaluations (contacts lens renewals) to occur via telemedicine, under certain circumstances.
- HB 4357 – prohibits drug manufacturers and wholesale distributors from offering or giving a “gift” ($63 per month) to a prescriber when engaged in a sales, promotional or other marketing activity for a prescription drug.
- HB 4358 – prohibits an insurer from forcing a patient to change medications for non-medical reasons, except under certain circumstances.
- HB 4359 – allows a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) to provide anesthesia without physician supervision, under certain circumstances.
For details on specific bills, please visit legislature.mi.gov and enter the bill number.
I had the opportunity to tour Country Oaks Landscape Supply in Burton on March 29, 2021. This state-of-the-art facility produces high quality compost and uses the energy generated from the compost to heat their buildings.
- Coronavirus Info – Michigan.gov/coronavirus
- Michigan 2-1-1 – mi211.org
- COVID Emergency Rental Assistance (CERA) Program
- State Emergency Relief (SER) – michigan.gov/mibridges.
- Apply for a Home Heating Credit at michigan.gov/treasury.
- Unemployment Benefits – Michigan.gov/UIA.
- Small Business Assistance – michiganbusiness.org/covid19 and sbdcmichigan.org/small-business-covid19.
- State Representative Tim Sneller – RepSneller.com
- 50th House District Map – housedems.com/district-50-map
- State Senate – senate.michigan.gov
- State House of Representatives – house.mi.gov
- Michigan Legislature – legislature.mi.gov
- U.S. Senate – senate.gov
- U.S. House of Representatives – house.gov
- Genesee County – gc4me.com
- City of Burton – burtonmi.gov
- City of Grand Blanc – cityofgrandblanc.com
- Township of Grand Blanc – twp.grand-blanc.mi.us
- Township of Mundy – mundytwp-mi.gov