COVID-19 and the necessary, associated lockdowns and closures have hit Genesee County hard. I know many of you are still struggling. I wanted to be sure that you were aware of a few programs that can help ease the financial strain you or your family members may be under.
In the meantime, if there is anything else I can assist you with or that you care to share, please feel free to reach out. While my staff is working from home during this time, our inbox and voicemails are still being monitored and I can be reached at JohnCherry@house.mi.gov or by phone at (517) 373-7515.
EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE GRANTS
- What: The State of Michigan has allocated $45 million to provide support to employees impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Grant Amount: Eligible recipients meeting all criteria and providing a complete and accurate application will be awarded assistance up to $1,650. The award is taxable, but it will NOT count against your unemployment as income.
- Eligible Industries (employees working in the following industries qualify): Restaurants, hotels, motels, bed & breakfast, resorts, bars, food trucks, bowling alleys, theaters, nightclubs, golf courses, banquet halls, caterers, casinos, cafeterias, and other impacted industries.
- Applications: Applications opened on Jan. 15, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. and will be available until Jan. 25, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. Click here to learn more and apply.
MICHIGAN SMALL BUSINESS SURVIVAL GRANT PROGRAM
- What: $55 million in survival grants for Michigan small businesses disproportionately impacted by the COVID-19 virus.
- Grant Amount: Awarded grant amounts will be at the discretion of each EDO administering the grants. Grants may be awarded up to $20,000 for eligible businesses that have been temporarily closed and up to $15,000 for an eligible business that has been partially closed, or otherwise is open.
- Eligible Expenses: Grant funds may be used by the business for eligible expenses including working capital to support payroll expenses, rent, mortgage payments, utility expenses, and other expenses related to reopening a business incurred between Nov. 18, 2020 and April 30, 2021.
- Application: Opens Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. EST and will close on Friday, Jan. 22 at 12:00 p.m. (noon) EST. Click here to learn more and apply.Click here to learn more and apply.
MICHIGAN STAGES SURVIVAL GRANT PROGRAM
- What: The State of Michigan has allocated $3.5 million to create the Michigan Stages Survival Grant Program to provide grants to entertainment venues affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Grant Amount: The maximum grant request is $40,000. There is no match requirement. The Michigan Independent Venue and Promoter Association (MIVPA) will have the discretion to recommend final grant award for applications.
- Eligible Expenses: Awarded grant funds are to be used for working capital to support payroll expenses, rent, mortgage payments, utility expenses, or costs related to reopening a business.
- Applications: Grant applications will open on Thursday, Jan. 21, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. EST and close on Thursday, Jan. 28 at 12:00 p.m. (noon). Click here to learn more and apply. Click here to learn more and apply.