State Budget Updates
In Lansing, we recently passed the budget for the state of Michigan, and I have exciting news to share for people across the state:
- Every Michigan public school student is now eligible for free lunch and breakfasts.
- We’re expanding access to free preschool.
- The budget will help repair roads, bridges and water pipes throughout the state.
- Wages will rise for elder-care workers.
- We’re improving mental health support for first responders.
- Environmental grants will help protect the precious ecosystem of the Great Lakes.
My first priority is to listen to the needs of our friends and neighbors in Calhoun County. That’s why I’m grateful for the following wins:
- $300,000 to Starr Commonwealth in Albion for youth career development.
- $750,000 to the Burma Center in Springfield for infrastructure repairs and improvements.
- $1.7 million to bring the Kingman Museum in Battle Creek back into use.
- $500,000 grant for the Bohm Theatre in Albion. The funds will help the Friends of the Bohm Theatre offer programs for kids and adults.
- $7 million for the creation of a commercial drone park. The drone park will help create jobs in an emerging industry.
I want to hear from you. Please, reach out to me at JimHaadsma@house.mi.gov or give my office a call at (517) 373-2616. I also hold coffee hours on the first Saturday of each month. 9-11 a.m. at Mr. Don’s and 1-2:30 p.m. at Stirling Books and Brew. I enjoy meeting and catching up with people.
- Mr. Don’s Restaurant: 341 N. 20th St., Springfield, MI 49037
- Stirling Books and Brew, 119 N. Superior St., Albion 49224
House District 44