Hello from Lansing,
My team and I have had a very busy first six months in office, and I wanted to take this time to reflect on what my team has accomplished for the residents of western Ann Arbor, western Washtenaw and southeast Jackson County. We are always hard at work for you and looking for new ways to partner with residents of the district!
My team and I are actively preparing to host a series of town halls across the state to showcase my healthcare-for-all legislation, MiCare. Details on the first town hall can be found at the end of this e-news. I hope to see you all there!
As always, we can be reached at CarrieRheingans@house.mi.gov or (517) 373-8835.
My Legislation So Far
While in office, I have introduced legislation to make a positive impact on every resident in Michigan. I am proud to be working on legislation to establish MiCare, a universal, publicly financed health care plan for Michigan. In addition, I’m proud of my bills to have Michigan join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, establish a statewide septic code, bring Michigan’s car seat standards into alignment with federal standards, require reporting on nurse-to-patient ratios, and require pre-paid postage for absentee ballots as part of a Proposal 2 of 2022 election legislation package. Below is a full list of the legislation I have introduced, including what each bill does:
- HR 54 – Designate March as National Social Worker Month (Introduced and adopted on March 8).
- HB 4125 – Sexual assault package (Signed into law).
- HB 4156 – Michigan to join National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (Passed committee).
- HB 4433 – Repeal of criminal sodomy.
- HB 4440 – Updates Michigan Election Code to match National Popular Vote (Passed committee).
- HB 4480 – Establish a statewide septic code.
- HB 4497 – Re-legalize research assistant striking.
- HB 4511 – Align car seat standards with federal and best practices.
- HB 4552 – Amends public health code for Safe Patient Care Act Nurse / patient ratio reporting.
- HB 4700 – Enacts Prop 2 requirement for pre-paid postage (Passed House).
- HB 4719 – Requires all co-pays to count towards a patient’s out-of-pocket maximum or deductible.
- HB 4801 – Makes marriage licenses gender-neutral.
- HB 4852 – Designates Manoomin as Michigan’s State Native Grain.
- HB 4858 – Bans neonicotinoid pesticides that can cause pollinator death.
- HB 4893 – MiCare state-wide universal health care plan.
I have also had the honor of hosting over 250 office meetings with constituents and policy advocates as your state representative. I have hosted or been a part of six press conferences in Lansing, with topics ranging from ending gun violence, to the Safe Patient Care Act. And I have had the privilege to meet with my constituents face-to-face at the 10 constituent contact events my team and I have hosted.
MiCare Town Halls Announcement
If you know me personally, you know that I view everything through a health lens. That is why I recently introduced a health care proposal — MiCare — in the Michigan legislature to ensure that Michigan residents would be able to receive high-quality, comprehensive medical care with the freedom to choose providers while reducing administrative bloat. There are so many residents of this state — the country — that are forced to make decisions between paying for their medications or putting food on their table. MiCare would simplify the health care industry for the benefit of the patients.
I know this legislation would materially benefit every resident of Michigan, and I hope you would consider joining me and my special guest Congresswoman Debbie Dingell for the first of many town halls on this legislation to learn more about what MiCare would accomplish in your life. As our Congresswoman, Debbie has introduced a similar federal version of this legislation.
We will be hosting this town hall in the Ann Arbor Skyline High School auditorium on Monday, Aug. 14, from 5:30-7 p.m. Please RSVP through this link so my team can keep an accurate headcount. Further information on this and future town halls and will be published on my social media accounts: