Dear Neighbor,

I want you to know that I am working on getting resources and funding to help our community recover from the heavy rainfall and flooding. In the meantime, I’ve included several existing programs and resources to help you during this difficult time. If there is anything my office and I can do for you, please don’t hesitate to reach out to by or by calling (517) 373-0154.


Tenisha Yancey

State Representative, 1st House District

Emergency Flood Resources

State of Michigan: 

    • If you have questions regarding your insurance, the Department of Insurance and Financial Services is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at (877) 999-6442.
    • The Michigan State Housing Development Authority can help provide disaster relief housing counseling.
    • The United Way for Southeastern Michigan can also help answer questions and aid as you’re dealing with the flooding aftermath. The 2-1-1 helpline is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. If you have issues dialing 2-1-1, you can call (800) 552-1183. You can also text your ZIP code to 898211.
      • The free service connects residents with help and answers about emergencies and local resources.
    • Information about state programs that can help with healthcare coverage, food assistance, child development and care, cash assistance and state emergency relief, visit the MIBridges website at 
    • Information to protect your property and pets.
    • The Red Cross has a Wayne County disaster assistance program for flooding victims. Dial (800) 774-6066 or (800) Red-Cross.

  • The Red Cross has financial assistance for immediate needs, can help with damage assessment and referrals, offers physical health assistance like obtaining lost prescriptions, mental health counseling, and tips for cleaning and clearing flood damaged homes.

City of Detroit:

For Property Damage: 

  • Residents can call (313) 267-8000 or go to the department’s website to file a claim by August 10, 2021.

        • The city of Detroit will make every effort to assist residents including helping with possible reimbursement through the federal government. If your property has flood damage, you may be able to get reimbursement. You can file a claim locally with DWSD, and it will be able to file with FEMA if a presidential declaration of disaster is issued.

  • The city is encouraging residents to take photographs of damage and keep receipts from cleaning or repairs.
  • Detroit residents who have water damage from the flooding can complete an online form at to begin the damage claim process. This begins the damage claims process and a representative is expected to contact people soon to get more information on their claim, including supporting documents, according to the city. People can also download the form, fill it out and mail it to 735 Randolph, Suite 901, Detroit, MI 48226. Residents can call (313) 267-8000 to report damage or if they need assistance completing the form.
  •  If you have insurance, you should file a claim with your insurance company immediately. 
  • It is very important to document your losses with photos of the flood damage and receipts related to cleaning and repairs for your claim.

    • For Cleanup Assistance:
      • If you still have standing water in your basement that you believe is an immediate health hazard, DWSD will send a city or contractor crew to your location. Please make sure to indicate this on the online form or when you call (313) 267-8000.
      • If you are a senior or disabled and need help clearing debris from your basement, volunteers can assist you. Please indicate if you are a senior and/or a person with a disability on the online form or when you call DWSD at (313) 267-8000.
    • For Shelter: 
  • Community members in need of shelter resulting from flooding or weather-related damage to their home can call (800) RED-CROSS or go directly to one of two Red Cross shelters.
    • For Debris Cleanup:
      • If you have bulk items from the flood damage, you can put them out immediately. There are 15 city crews on the streets picking up those items as fast as we can. You will not be ticketed for leaving storm-related debris out at your curb.
    • Volunteer to Help with Cleanup Efforts:
    • Contacts:
      • Detroit Water & Sewerage Department Customer Service & Emergency Line: (313) 267-8000.
      • DWSD Customer Service Email:
    • Trouble with DTE or AT&T:
      • Representative Brenda Lawrence – 14th District:
        • Detroit Office: (313) 880-2400
        • Southfield Office: (248) 356-2052
      • Contact your U.S. Representative:

Harper Woods:

  • For Property Damage:
  • Harper Woods residents should report flood damage claims to their own insurance carriers taking videos and/or pictures of the flood damage. Vehicle owners should report any damages to their own auto insurance carriers.
  • Detailed flood damage form must be turned into City Hall by Friday, July 2 in Lobby Drop Box or Front Counter, or you can email the form to

  • For Debris Disposal:
  • GFL will be working its regular rubbish route to pick up household flood damaged trash. Please do not overfill trash bags. Start putting out your trash today. Pickups will occur every day until all trash is collected. The city will follow up with items that need special pickup. NO FEES WILL BE CHARGED.
  • Other Information:
  • Drinking Water quality has not been affected.
  • Keep Track of Updates on Resources and Information:

Grosse Pointe Woods:

  • For Property Damage:

        • The purpose of this reporting form is to collect information only reporting to the State pursuant to Public Act 390 of 1976 and is not a mechanism for any other type of reimbursement or financial assistance. This is not a damage claim form pursuant to Public Act 222 of 2001.
        • Submit this form to Grosse Pointe Woods City Hall Clerk’s office. Forms can be emailed to, dropped off at 20025 Mack Plaza, Grosse Pointe Woods, or placed in the drop box located in front of the Robert E. Novitke Municipal Center.

  • Forms need to be received back no later than Friday, July 2, 2021.
      • Grosse Pointe Woods residents and business owners are encouraged to call the Department of Public Works, (313) 343-2460 to report personal property damage as well as receive flood recovery guidance. Do NOT call 9-1-1 to report flood damage.
      • To assist with insurance claims, individuals should take an inventory of valuables and belongings, including taking photographs or a video. Vehicle owners should report any damages to their auto insurance company.

  • For Debris Cleanup:
      • Residents are permitted to put water damaged debris at the curb regardless of their assigned rubbish removal day. GFL will be working its regular rubbish route to pick up household flood damage trash. Please do not overfill trash bags. Start putting out your trash today.

Village of Grosse Pointe Shores:

  • For Property Damage:
  • Call and report flooded basements to DPW at 313-886-0020. You should also notify your insurance company immediately.
    • Take pictures of damage, list items, and provide as much documentation as possible on the damaged contents as well as any remediation efforts already made.
    • Fill out Flood Damage Claims Form within 45 days (Aug. 10, 2021):
    • Return form to, fax it to (313) 881-5417, or Postal Service or Drop Box located in North Parking Lot: 795 Lake Shore Rd., Grosse Pointe Shores, MI 48236 ATTN: Mike Way.

  • Debris Pickup:
      • Residents are asked to put any damaged items out to the curb. DPW will be running their normal garbage routes for normal trash and then will be going down every street to pick up water damaged materials.
      • Any questions, call DPW at 886-0020.

Aftermath Tips & Guides:

  • Tips for Cleaning Flooded Basements:
    • When inside a flooded basement or building, wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles and boots. If there is suspected mold growth, where mask (preferably a K95 or greater).
    • Hose down the inside of the basement/structure to remove health hazards from possible flood water mud. Shovel out as much mud as possible. Quickly remove the water you use during this cleaning.
    • Clean and dry out the basement or structure thoroughly within 24 to 48 hours after flooding to help prevent the growth of mold.
    • Help the drying process by using fans, air conditioning units and dehumidifiers.
    • If flood water did not get behind the structure’s walls, you can reduce the chances of mold and mildew formation in basements and homes by wiping down all flood water-affected surfaces. Use a solution of one cup of liquid household bleach to a gallon of water.
    • Throw away any food that has come in contact with flood water. Please do not consume dented or damaged canned goods that may have become contaminated.
    • Replace any drywall and insulation that has been soaked by flood water
    • Remove and discard carpeting, rugs, drywall, mattresses, furniture and other items that cannot be washed and disinfected if it is believed that they came in contact with flood water mixed with raw sewage.
    • When cleaning, never mix bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners. Mixing bleach or ammonia or other cleaning products can produce dangerous, toxic fumes causing serious injury or even death. Keep windows and doors open to provide fresh air for ventilation during the cleaning process.
    • Never turn power on or off or use an electrical tool or appliance while standing in water.
    • Do not enter the basement or other area where floodwaters have reached any electrical outlets or panels.
    • Keep children and pets out of the work area. Do not eat, drink, chew gum, or smoke while cleaning.
    • Wash cleaning clothes in hot water and detergent separately from family laundry.
    • In the weeks and months following clean-up, watch for the growth of mold, which can cause illness. Mold appears as spots that can be many different colors and gives off a musty odor. Mold should be removed immediately with a mixture of one cup bleach (8 oz.) to every gallon of water.
    • After cleanup, make sure electrical outlets are safe to use before restoring electrical power.