Trenton, Mich., July 14, 2022 — In response to Governor Gretchen Whitmer signing a historic, bipartisan education budget that will make the highest state per-student investment in Michigan history and more, Rep. Darrin Camilleri (D-Trenton) issued the following statement:
“I was proud to advocate for this landmark investment in Michigan’s public schools during budget discussions over the last few months in Lansing. As a former teacher, I know first hand how important it is that we fully fund our school systems. This budget will change the lives of Michigan’s students and educators by providing additional learning supports, expanded access to mental health help, increased school safety, and recruit more talented individuals to the teaching profession.”
Education Budget by the Numbers
- $9,150 per-pupil funding for every student, in every public school district, highest state amount ever.
- $214 per-pupil mental health and school safety funding for every kid, in every public school district.
- Additional funding to meet students’ individual needs for all of the nearly 200,000 special education and 710,000 at-risk students.
- 1,300 more free preschool slots in the Great Start Readiness Program (GSRP).
- $250 million for school infrastructure.
- $10,000 in tuition for 2,500 future Michigan educators every year.