LANSING – State Representative Sarah Roberts (D-St. Clair Shores) encourages low-income residents to check to see if they qualify for Michigan’s home heating credit. The deadline for applying for the credit for tax year 2012 is Sept. 30. The credit helps low-income people and senior citizens with winter energy bills, and customers do not need to file a Michigan tax return to apply for the Home Heating Credit.

“Heating bills can be a struggle for people with limited incomes and this state Home Heating Credit is available to help people with these costs,” said Roberts. “If seniors and families qualify for this credit, I urge them to apply so that keeping their heat on this winter will be less of a financial struggle.”

Eligible customers must have their homestead in Michigan, must own or rent the home in which they live, and their income must fall within certain limits. Those limits are based on the number of exemptions as follows:

  • 1 exemption: maximum income of $12,299

  • 2 exemptions: maximum income of $16,671

  • 3 exemptions: maximum income of $21,014

  • 4 exemptions: maximum income of $25,357

  • 5 exemptions: maximum income of $29,728

  • 6 exemptions: maximum income of $34,071

Special exemptions are also available for the deaf, blind or those with a disability. In some cases, a qualifying person will receive a check from the state, while others may have the amount of their credit sent directly to their energy company.

“I would hate to see anyone who qualifies for this assistance miss out on it, so I encourage people to check to see if they can claim this Home Heating Credit,” said Roberts. “Low-income customers can also find out if they qualify for other assistance offered by their utility companies or other organizations by calling their utility company or by calling 2-1-1.”

The Home Heating Credit is funded by the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) grant. Home Heating Credits are processed by the Department of Treasury. The form, MI-1040CR-7, may be obtained from the department’s website,, or by calling (517) 636-4486.